Friday, May 9, 2008

News y Notes


In the spirit of actually updating this thing, since I haven't in a few days and none of the other lazy writers have bothered, I'll just make a few quick notes.

- Francisco Liriano pitched again for Rochester on May 5th and it went much better, but there are still some warning signs. He went just five innings, giving up 2 hits and one run to go along with four strikeouts and four walks. Obviously, four walks in five innings is not good, and even more alarming is that he threw 87 pitches, just 48 of which were strikes. So he's still struggling with his command of the strike zone. The good news is that when he did manage to find the plate, the Columbus team he faced wasn't hitting well. Whether that was because of good pitching or poor hitting, who knows.

- Pat Reusse wrote yet another god awful article, this one bemoaning the decline in popularity of printed newspaper when compared to the internet. I'm not going to break it down, because it's pretty worthless, but it reads more like an autobiographical letter to the editor than an actual column in an actual newspaper. His point is that newspapers have better access to the local sports teams than internet sites do, which of course he doesn't get around to making until the last few paragraphs of his rambling column. And honestly, as long as sites like the star tribune, pioneer press, sports illustrated, and espn keep making their content available online, there is going to be the same level of access on the internet that their is in the papers. Reusse continues to show his contempt for the internet medium, even as more people read him online every day than do in the actual paper.

- I mentioned this in a comment on another post, but it bears mentioning here. Former Twin Terry Tiffee is destroying triple A pitching in the LA Dodgers system, hitting .454 through 34 games and 141 at bats for their Las Vegas club. A .494 OBP and .652 slugging give him an OPS of 1.146, which basically make him Barry Bonds (pre-roids). Yet another David Ortiz the Twins let slip through their fingers.

- Glen Perkins is going to get destroyed Saturday.

- I have to interview a guy here in a few minutes, and I just met him before he started interviewing with my boss and he looks like a real nerd. And not a baseball nerd, because those guys are awesome and cool and smart. Like a nerd, nerd. Great.

- Gary Russell is still on the Steelers, and right now is behind Willie Parker, Verron Hayes, and Najeh Davenport. Although it sounds like Davenport might be moved to fullback. Pittsburgh signed Mewelde Moore also, that's another guy G-Russ will have to deal with. And yes, that was totall a Sid Hartman kind of thing to write. Shut up.

- You people who don't think Pam from the Office is hot are seriously retarded.

- Went to lunch with Snacks, Optimator, and the Todd today (Panchero's, suck it Sidler). The Todd had a beer before heading back to work. You gotta like that.

- Over at the Players, Sergio Garcia has already choked away his lead, meanwhile my sleeper pick Retief Goosen has finished his second day at even par, five back and well ahead of the projected cut, in perfect position to make a run over the weekend. If you're interested, you can go here to watch the action live. Look on the left side for a link that says "Live@Watch Now" and you can watch the action at the 17th hole, one of the coolest holes in all of golf with the island green.

- That's all I got, and I have to interview this nerd soon. I'm hoping to get a special guest post from a reader later today, so check back.

10 comments:

Dharma Bum said...

I thought walk hard was good. Sure, I saw it on new years day so I was wasted (I think we brought whiskey into the theater, so 19), but I liked it.

I know this isn't ground breaking news but if you think Terry Tiffee is the second coming of Ortiz you are crazy. He would be lucky to get to Todd Walker's level but I doubt it.

Anonymous said...

In true Sid fashion, your Sid-like tidbit also missed something very important. The Steelers drafted Mendenhall out of Illinois in the first round this year and I remember hearing that he was going to see significant time - I don't remember if it was third down back, short yardage, or what.

Also, there is no way Terry Tiffee becomes even an above average major league player. Of course, I would have said the same thing about Casey Blake five years ago, and he's at least average.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm not gonna pass up a $2 bottle of Dos Equis. I don't care what time of the day it is.

Since you didn't include anything hockey related which usually sparks some chatter, I thought I'd throw my two cents in quick here. U of M forward Blake Wheeler is skipping his senior season and turning pro. Not a shocker there. Someone on Strib in the comments section of the article summed it up nicely along the lines of, "not dissappointed he's leaving, just disappointed in how big of a bust he was for the U." I couldn't agree more. With his size, my heart and work ethic, we'd be looking at a sure fire NHL hall of famer. Or at least an All-American. About the only thing I'll remember about Wheeler is his ESPYesque overtime game winning goal in 2007 of the WCHA Final Five.

I'm off to Happy Hour...Thanks for nothin Vijay, go Reteif!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm not gonna pass up a $2 bottle of Dos Equis. I don't care what time of the day it is.

Since you didn't include anything hockey related which usually sparks some chatter, I thought I'd throw my two cents in quick here. U of M forward Blake Wheeler is skipping his senior season and turning pro. Not a shocker there. Someone on Strib in the comments section of the article summed it up nicely along the lines of, "not dissappointed he's leaving, just disappointed in how big of a bust he was for the U." I couldn't agree more. With his size, my heart and work ethic, we'd be looking at a sure fire NHL hall of famer. Or at least an All-American. About the only thing I'll remember about Wheeler is his ESPYesque overtime game winning goal in 2007 of the WCHA Final Five.

I'm off to Happy Hour...Thanks for nothin Vijay, go Reteif!

Anonymous said...

And Pam is way hot. Up there with Suzy Kolber.

Anonymous said...

Hey nerds. I have a quick question for you. If OBP is the most important stat in baseball and BA doesn't matter. Why do the twins rank last in their division in OBP and first in BA yet sit in first place. Eat it Nerds. OBP is for losers like Cust! BA is the new rage in the MLB! Idiots!

P.S. To all the losers who said Pam is ugly, you are f'ing idiots. Dawg is going to wear out his tube sock when he see's this picture. Good work WWWWWWW.

WWWWWW said...

The Twins are winning in spite of their offense, not because of it.

Idiot.

Dr. Acula!. said...

Suzy Kolber = NOT hot.Get it right or don't get it at all.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Acula! You've spent to much time rubbing yourself off to paused screens of Lara Croft on your PS2. You wouldn't know a real woman if you saw one. I'm not just hot, I'm smoking hot!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Suzy.